Chartered Market Technician® (CMT) Program
CMT Program was created in 1985 and is administered by the CMT Association (formerly known as MTA). The CMT Association is a global credentialing body with nearly 50 years of service to the financial industry. The Chartered Market Technician® (CMT) designation marks the highest education within the discipline and considered as gold standard for practitioners of technical analysis worldwide.
CMT Program curriculum demonstrates mastery of a core body of knowledge of investment risk in Portfolio Management. Program curriculum has been constantly updated to address the professional approach of rules based trading system design and testing using most effective technical analysis methodologies. The certification process requires candidates to demonstrate expertise in a behavioral economics that extends beyond classical pattern recognition techniques with using wider range of technical analysis techniques.
The CMT Program consists of three levels:
CMT Level I - Introduction to Theory & Analysis:
Multiple choice exam format, focusing on the basic knowledge & terminologies used in Technical Analysis.
CMT Level II- Application of Theory & Analysis:
Multiple choice exam format, measure candidate’s competency in application of concepts, theory and techniques.
CMT Level III- An Integration of Technical Analysis:
Essay Format, tests the ability to integrate the concepts identified in Level I with the practical application covered in Level II.
Objectives of the CMT Program:
- To help candidates master a core body of knowledge of investment risk in Portfolio management.
- To promote and encourage the highest ethical standards within the industry & create a multitude of continuing education opportunities.
- To grant the gold standard of highly reputably professional designation of Chartered Market Technician (CMT) to those members who complete the Program and agree to abide by the CMT Code of Ethics.
CMT Program Curriculum & Weighting
12 Topics, 4 Knowledge domains:
CMT Program covers four primary knowledge domains:
- Quantitative Financial Research & Trading
- Risk Management
- Applied Behavioral Finance
- Portfolio Management
Weights of each topic or concept for each level of the CMT Exam are as follows:
|Level I||Level II||Level III|
|Chart Development & Analysis||47%||36%|
|Technical Investment Strategies||18%||13%|
|Ethics & Standards of Practice||3%||3%||5%|
Source: CMT Association Website
Program Requirements & Fees
You must be an affiliate member of the CMT Association before you can enroll in the program and register for the exam.
Total CMT Program Cost**
$2,350 – $2,800
*Program enrollment fee is a one-time fee that allows you to sit for the CMT Exams
**Not including exam failure and retake
Additional Information Resources
- Why Become A CMT ® Charter holder
- How To Become A Chartered Market Technician® (CMT)